Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Shark Encounters at San Onofre State Beach and Torrance

May 31, 2010 - http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/press-release/shark-encounters-at-san-onofre-state-beach-and-torrance_43986/

San Onofre State Beach -- On May 29, 2010 Daniel Sandoval was surfing Trail 1 at San Onofre State Beach. The time was not noted but estimated at 3 - 4:30 PM. He had been on the water about 45 minutes prior to the encounter. Air and water temperatures were estimated in the mid-70s and low 60s Fahrenheit, respectively. Sea conditions were 2 - 3 foot waves, occasional sets, under a clear sky. Sandoval reported; "I paddle out and after a few minutes a surfer on a yellow longboard told me he had seen a shark swimming North and South about 15 minutes beforehand. I was somewhat apprehensive, but he said he'd watch out for me and let me know if he saw it again. After 30 minutes or so about 10 - 15 feet North of me was what I believed to be a shark. As soon as I saw it a paddle boarder told me there was a shark near. It scared me so I laid quietly on my board while the paddle boarder headed for shore. He had told me the shark was about 20 feet behind me. After a few more minutes I headed for shore. I waited on shore for about an hour or so and figured the shark was gone. I headed back out. Not long after I was in the lineup a surfer tells me there's a 6 - 7 foot sharks nearby as he takes a wave in to the beach. By this time the waves were somewhat flat so I paddled in to shore." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.




San Onofre State Beach -- On May 29, 2010 David Moroni was surfing Trail 1 at San Onofre State Beach near San Diego. It was about 2:00 or 2:30 PM and he had been on the water about 30 minutes. The sky was clear with a mild West wind of about 5 knots. Air and water temperatures were estimated at 75 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. The water was 8 - 10 feet deep over a rocky-reef with scattered sandy areas and visibility limited to about 3 feet. Sea conditions were 2 - 3 feet with a light chop. Surfers in the area observed 2 Dolphins about two hours prior to the encounter. Moroni reported; "I was sitting still on my longboard, although there were other surfers nearby. Another surfer to my left (unnamed) first spotted the shark, and then I noticed it about 50 feet to my left slowly swimming out and away from shore. This was around 2 PM. I spotted the dorsal and tail fin simultaneously coming out of the water for a few seconds. About 1 minute later, a surfer on a yellow longboard was paddling parallel to shore, heading West in front of my location. The same shark was seen following about 50 feet behind the unnamed longboard surfer just seconds later. I notified the surfer of the situation and he acknowledged and continued to paddle in the same direction. About 10 seconds later the shark turned left and swam back out and away from shore. About 20 minutes later the shark returned, first noted swimming parallel to shore about 50 feet in front of me again with other surfers nearby and the shark was between me and another surfer who was sitting further out. The shark disappeared for about 20 - 30 seconds and then reappeared as a set-wave was coming in, and the shark was seen 'riding' the wave in to shore, and then disappeared again as the wave broke and there was white water masking the location of the shark. I stayed in the water, caught a few more waves and paddled in to shore about 15 minutes after the last encounter. The shark had a dark grey colored top with a curved, slightly triangular dorsal fin. Distance from tail to dorsal tip appeared to be 4 feet. Another surfer identified the full body through an incoming wave and noticed a whitish color at the bottom of the shark." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.



Torrance Beach -- On May 29, 2010 Andrew Clayton was boogie boarding at Torrance Beach, which is between Redondo Beach and Malaga Cove. It was 10:30 AM and he had been on the water about 2 hours. The air and water temperatures were recorded at 73 and 58 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. Water depth was unknown due to poor water visibility of 3 feet or less. No marine mammals were observed in the area during his time on the water. Clayton recalled; "I was paddling out after catching a wave and I dove under a wave and when I came up I saw the top of the shark's head, dorsal fin and, its tail. It thrashed its tail and went back under the water I immediately got out of the water. The shark was about 7 or 8 feet in length and had a large dorsal fin and a long tail, possible a Thresher Shark (Alopias vulpinus)." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

No comments:

Post a Comment