Wednesday, October 21, 2009

MAUI SURFER ATTACKED BY 12-FOOT TIGER SHARK

MAUI SURFER ATTACKED BY 12-FOOT TIGER SHARK 100 stitches later, Scott Henrich vows to surf again

By: Mike Cianciulli (surfline.com)


"Survival."


That was the dominant thought in Scott Henrich's mind when an estimated 12-foot tiger shark clamped onto his right quadricep. Henrich was surfing at Kalama Bowls, an outer reef near Kihei, Maui, on Monday when most surfers' worst nightmare became his reality.
"At first I thought, 'how could this happen to me?' But then I instantly switched into survival mode," Henrich told Surfline while laid up with 100 stitches in his leg. "I first thought to get him off of me, then get to shore, and then stop the bleeding."


Henrich paddled out to Kalama Bowls (a spot he's been surfing for 13 years) just after dawn on Monday and was joined by a lone wave rider on a sea kayak. After the first wave of a set passed through, Henrich pondered taking the second one when it happened.

"I never heard it coming," he recalled. "I just saw the mouth open and then it clamped on my leg before I could even react. I hit it twice on the head and he let go. Fortunately, part of his lower jaw got my board."

The sea kayaker tried to tow Henrich in, but survival instinct forced him to catch a wave on his belly. And because of the early hour, the Kalama Beach Park was still closed so Henrich had to walk 250 yards to the main road before he flagged down a motorist to call 911.

"I never heard it coming. I just saw the mouth open and then it clamped on my leg before I could even react."
-- Scott Henrich

"I've done triathlons, ran marathons, even had a traumatic bike wreck, but I've never felt any pain like that walk after being bit," Henrich remembered.


Emergency crews responded immediately and rushed him to the hospital for treatment. He received 100 stitches and suffered tendon damage in his ankle. He's waiting on a follow up appointment before he knows how long he'll be out of the water.

"Of course, I'll surf again," Henrich laughed in good spirits. "If anyone can get a hold of Billy Hamilton, tell him I'm mounting my attacked board on my wall and I want a replacement."

By: Mike Cianciulli (surfline.com)
http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/maui-surfer-attacked-by-12-foot-tiger-shark_31501/

No comments:

Post a Comment